Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy 27th!

On December 22, David turned 27! And, since I always bring up something about his age to annoy him, I reminded him this year that he would soon be 30. I can't help myself.

We started the morning off with chocolate chip pancakes and sausage. I never make sausage at our house, so this was a big treat for David. I let him go ahead and open my gifts to him. Unfortunately, not all of them arrived. At least not the correct items. I had ordered him some new running headphones, and instead received a tape-to-mp3 converter for your computer. Not sure how that happened. Another of his gifts, a shoe holder for his ipod sensor, didn't even arrive on time. I was only able to give him Juno. At least my heart was in the right place.

We headed to Columbia that afternoon with David's sister, Katie, to eat at the Flat Branch and do some shopping. We always try to hit up at least one, if not two, of our favorite spots when we go back to Missouri. The Flat Branch is usually at the top of our list. David had a good time ordering his beer sampler and enjoying the awesome food.

After some shopping, we headed back to Mexico to have David's birthday dinner with his family. Kevin wasn't able to celebrate with us since he was still in Lexington, KY with his girlfriend's family.We had a nice meal and then David got to open his presents. Despite being 27, this is still the part David looks forward to every year. His sister gave him a game for the Wii (not that he needs another game).

I think it is safe to say that David's favorite gift came from his parents. After opening a frame for his Master's diploma, there was one more gift to open. David was very confused as he opened the last gift. He first pulled out a Duke t-shirt which he was pretty sure was already his. Then he pulled out a Davidson shirt, which was also already his. At this point, I thought I knew what it was going to be, but I didn't want to say and ruin it. Well, sure enough, David pulled out 2 tickets to the Duke vs. Davidson men's basketball game on January 7th. David had an awesome expression on his face. Pure disbelief! It was definitely a memorable birthday. His parents are always good at making sure they are, though. We can't wait for the game. We'll be cheering on Davidson, of course.

After gifts, I brought out David's birthday cake. He had searched and requested a double-chocolate rum cake. It took awhile to make, but it turned out well. I think everyone enjoyed it. By the time we left for NC, the entire cake had been eaten by both of our families. It's always nice when a new cooking endeavor turns out tasty. This one will definitely be added to the repertoire. All in all, it was a wonderful birthday celebration. So, that happened...

1 comment:

  1. Care to share a ticket with a Davidson alum?

    :-)

    Go Wildcats!!

    ReplyDelete