Friday, May 29, 2009

Show-off

It seems we have a bit of a show-off on our hands. We had our 16 week appointment today, and got to have an unexpected ultrasound. The doctor was only going to do a Doppler to hear the baby's heartbeat, but we had such a "mover and shaker" (doctor's words), that she had to go get the ultrasound. Amazingly enough I was not nervous. She kept telling us the sounds we were hearing were movement, and I was confident things we fine. David told me later that he was nervous. It is comforting to know that I'm not the only one who worries about this baby.
So out came the ultrasound, and there was our beautiful baby. It was a shame we didn't have the camcorder. We were going to bring it anyway to record the heartbeat, but forgot. We were really kicking ourselves after the show we received. It was no wonder the doctor had a hard time locating the heartbeat. Our baby looked like s/he was doing somersaults and cartwheels. It made for an awesome viewing. We saw the limbs in action and the spinal cord. We even saw the heart. This picture was a lot different than the one we saw at 8 weeks. At one point the baby kicked me. It was cool to see since I can't really feel the movement yet. I think we got to watch our baby Bunge move around for about 5 minutes. I had to hold onto David to keep the tears from coming out too heavily. Here we thought we were going in for a routine check-up, and we got to see our little baby again. It's hard to wait so long to see your baby, especially when you don't have a definitive way of making sure every thing's okay. This was a nice blessing for us today.
I asked about the heartbeat today. Everyone asked us last time what it was, and neither of us could recall (still not sure the doctor actually told us). We got so excited about hearing it, that it was kind of a blur. The doctor said the heart rate was 150 bpm. The doctor couldn't get a good view between the legs to give us a definitive answer, but with all the movement she feels like we're having a boy. I think I saw fireworks go off in David's eyes. I love seeing him so happy. I know he will be happy either way, but I think having a boy would mean a lot to him.
Our wonderful doctor scheduled our next ultrasound at 18 weeks (2 weeks from today) at WakeMed. They have a 3D/4D ultrasound lab, so we will get the whole shebang. We were going to go to Cary for one in 2 weeks, but now we can hold off on that until the baby is older and filled out. We will be able to tell you all for sure if we're having a boy or girl on June 12. So that happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment